Monday, October 20, 2008

Vet and 1800PetMeds - Resolved

I have been wrestling with who is right, the vet or 1800PetMeds, when it comes to providing prescription medication for my girls. See the discussions and comments Round 1, Round 2 & Round 3.

Finally, on a forum I posted the question on, I received a very informative answer from a vet. Since it seems there is a lot of confusion on the subject, I felt I should post the information. Here is the vet's response:


I am a vet and I have seen both sides of this argument as it has come up on the AVMA message boards too. 1800PetMeds is not a reputable company. If you go to http://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/finalordernet/folist.aspx and type Pet Med Express in the search blank you will see about 70 lawsuits pop up. They have imported meds from overseas. In my experience I had a client who wanted heartworm pills, but added on an antibiotic. When I questioned her about it she said she just wanted to have it on hand for one of her dogs that has skin problems. Well the antibiotic and dose were totally inappropriate for what she was trying to treat.

We all have expenses. If we can't sell prescription products to help pay our bottom line, we will just raise prices elsewhere. I have very loyal clients and the issue rarely comes up. But if I need to write out a script I use Vet Centric because I trust them. Of course I have a Holistic Practice and don't use a lot of "drugs" anyway.

I think you need to decide how important your vet is to you and if you want to to support them. If you think they are an anal money grubbing jerk you may want to look elsewhere. If they have always done right my you and your pet, it may not be worth the couple extra bucks to alienate them. You can always ask them to meet the Pharmacy price, many will.

I hope this helps you see both sides of the issue

Susan Maier, DVM
www.horizonvetserv.com

No comments: