Monday, September 22, 2008

Bark in the Park - Recap

Due to personnel issues, I am unable to post pictures of the event. Here is a link to the story in the local news.

We started off in the back because I wanted to walk the 5K versus run it. There were only a handful of people walking the 5K distance. When Sydney & Addy saw the rest of the pack running, they were running as well. Addy zigzagged the entire way; probably resulting in a 10K instead of a 5K. The girls have never been to this park before so they were doing a lot of sniffing around.

Part of our route ran along Beargrass Creek. At certain junctions around the creek, there was a rock ledge that bordered the creek (at these junctions there was a pretty decent drop-off from the road to the creek. Addy would stop walking, place 2 paws up on the ledge and look over into the creek. She never made an attempt to get her back paws up therefore I didn't think she would jump. But she definitely showed interest in getting back to in the water.

We did the 5K a little over 45 minutes. Yes, that means we were doing 15 minute miles - I feel accomplished when I do that walking by myself!!! I knew we were going fast but was astonished at that pace. Sydney and Addy started to slow around the 2 1/2 mile mark but were still moving at a very good pace. Maybe I do need to take them on training runs. We didn't stay around for the events afterwards...like I said, personnel issues.

No comments: