Saturday, September 13, 2008

Introducing Addy

I have focused a lot of this blog on Sydney. So I need to get you caught up on Addy. Addy is our yellow lab. Addy was an 'accident' in every sense of the word.



The same co-worker of my husband's, where we got Sydney, sent him an email the February after we got Sydney with a surprise. The co-worker had planned for Sydney's mother to be spade. The date was already set because the last pregnancy, Sydney's litter, had stressed the dog out so much that my husband's co-worker did not want her to have any more.

However, on February 15th, unbeknownst to everyone, Sydney's mother had 10 puppies; only 6 survived including 1 yellow female.

My parent's dog, Mocha, had to be put down in December. My dad had always wanted a yellow female lab. So my husband told his co-worker to hold the yellow female lab. It was hard on all of us losing Mocha but, starting in March, Dad starting looking at puppies. We wanted to surprise him with it but knew we couldn't keep the surprise much longer.

I sent him an email stating that we had a yellow lab for him (he loved Sydney and even commented on how he would like to have a dog like her) and that we wanted to surprise him with this dog. His reply - 'No, thanks.' Nothing more. Needless to say, we were devastated. What we didn't know at the time was my mother was going through breast cancer treatment and did not feel she could take care of a puppy and it was mom that had said 'No thanks'.



My husband's co-worker had turned down several other people who had wanted the lone yellow female. So we felt obligated to keep her. We had talked about getting another dog down the road, but not this soon.

My husband, Sydney and I all went to see her and the rest of the puppies. She ends up in my husbands lap and just laid there and slept. Needless to say, she won over our heart. And I can't imagine life without her.

No comments: