Sunday, September 7, 2008

How Sydney Got Her Name

Sydney is our black lab. Sydney turned 2 on July, 23rd. Since she just had a birthday, I thought I would talk a little bit about her and how she got her name.



Sydney was our first dog and I did not have a clue on what to name her. We saw her when she was around 4 weeks old. She was the runt of the litter so she fit into my husband's hand. But other than whine and sleep, we didn't get a feel for her personality. (Albeit, we should have realized that the whining was some indicator).

So, I started searching for names on the Internet. I googled 'dog names' and found the ten most common dog names. But all of those names I either 1) had a dog growing up that had that name or 2) had friends that had those names. Frankly, I wasn't having any luck.

I broke down and searched for baby names. As I am searching, I came across Sydney.



Sydney was the name of my Pound Puppy growing up. My pound puppy was brown and it was one of my favorite toys as a child. It just seemed right that I would name my first dog Sydney. So we did.

Now, Sydney goes by 'Sydney, Sydney', 'Syd' & 'Pretty Girl'. When she is in a good mood and I ask 'Who is my pretty girl?', I can get her to answer with a bark!!!

No comments: